Subject: Re: git fetch,git merge and git rebase

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 02:22:18 -0600

Alexey Shumkin wrote:
> Akash writes:

>> I am new to git .Can someone explain in simple terms what git fetch,git
>> merge and git rebase do?..I tried googling but was very confused after going
>> thro it.
>> 
>> Also, can someone prescribe a link which explains git in detail right from
>> scratch.
>
> RFTM, with all respect ))
> http://progit.org/book/

More hints:

 - "man git" (or "git help git") has some hints to get started:
   . a tutorial
   . a list of "everyday git" commands to get going
   . a short article on centralized, cvs-style workflow
   . a user's manual

 - when anything is unclear in those documents, I will be very happy
   to learn about it (so cc me in that case :)).  Please be specific
   as possible about what is confusing.

 - people on this mailing list and the #git channel on freenode are
   generally happy to help if you are trying to do something
   specific (or have some other specific question).

 - there's much material on the web in addition to what's mentioned
   above.  For example the old git crash course for svn users at
   http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html taught me a lot about both git and
   svn.  Theoretically, good material from a variety of sources can
   gradually flow into the user's manual and reference manual pages,
   though actual practice does not always match that theory.

Good luck.

Kind regards,
Jonathan