Subject: Re: configuring cherry-pick to always use -x?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 03:18:28 -0600

Michael J Gruber wrote:

> - If you do want them on the same branch "f-release", you probably know
> beforehand which commits you don't want on master. You can fake-merge
> these ("merge -Xours") to master and merge the others

For the record, I think that should be -sours.

I think it's just a typo but the difference is big --- -sours means
"supersede by pretending to merge but actually keeping our version",
while -Xours means "do a normal merge but be sloppy and favor our
change when encountering adjacent or overlapping changes".

I suppose -Xours should have been named -Xfavor-ours,
-Xsloppy-favoring-ours, or something similarly explicit.

> git checkout master
> git merge f-release
> #be happy if it succeeds, identify problematic commit X if not; decide
> whether X belongs on master; if yes resolve, if not reset and:
> git merge X^
> git merge -Xours X
> #back to start

Thanks for a nice example.
Jonathan