Subject: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] Thinning the git toplevel directory

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:27:01 -0600

Hi,

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:

>  .gitignore                                         |   19 ------------
>  Makefile                                           |   30 ++++++++++----------
>  t/helper/.gitignore                                |   19 ++++++++++++
[...]
>  24 files changed, 38 insertions(+), 38 deletions(-)

Here's a variation on the theme that just moves source and .o files
(leaving questions about how to cope with breaking muscle memory for
the resulting executables for later).  What do you think?

Patch 1 moves the sources for libgit.a to a subdirectory.  This seems
appealing anyway, to encourage people to start thinking about how to
make it into a standalone and reusable library.

Patch 2 moves source for test programs like test-sha1 to a subdirectory.

Patch 3 dumps header files into an include/ subdirectory.  I'm not
thrilled with it but it does make the toplevel directory listing
shorter.

After this series:

 $ ls | wc -l
 86

which fits nicely on a 113x31 terminal (but certainly not an 80x24
one).

The change descriptions need work.  Help would be appreciated.

Thoughts?
Jonathan Nieder (3):
  Move libgit.a sources into a libgit/ subdirectory
  Move test-* into a test-programs/ subdirectory
  Move header files into a include/ subdirectory

 Makefile                                           |  418 ++++++++++----------
 [plus a bunch of renames]
 208 files changed, 212 insertions(+), 206 deletions(-)