Subject: Advertising the prebuilt htmldocs and manpages

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 03:41:04 -0600

Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> We are talking about a source tree; there is no end-user
>> documentation.  Only the sources to it.
[...]
>      Note that not everyone compiles docs into man pages - for example I don't
>      have needed tools on my laptop and it's not that fast too. I just
> have to use
>      raw .txt files instead.

The INSTALL file explains:

   Alternatively, pre-formatted documentation is available in
   "html" and "man" branches of the git repository itself.  For
   example, you could:
[...]
   There are also "make quick-install-doc", "make quick-install-man"
   and "make quick-install-html" which install preformatted man pages
   and html documentation.

It does not explain that http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/
contains git-manpages-* and git-htmldocs-* tarballs for people who
do not have git yet, though.

The README file says:

   Many Git online resources are accessible from http://git-scm.com/
   including full documentation and Git related tools.

Maybe this (especially quick-install-doc) can be made more
discoverable somehow.