Subject: The git_remote_helpers package (Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] Thinning the git toplevel directory)

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:15:52 -0600

Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:11, Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Side note: I am not sure I like the git_remote_helpers name.  Wouldn't
>> a good goal be for these modules to be usable by other VCSes'
>> import/export scripts, too?
>
> The reusable code (the fast-import library) is already living in it's
> own library on pypi, I don't think there's much other code that is
> reusable accross VCSes?

Sorry for the thinko.  I see your point.

My thinking before was that if we have packages like

 git_remote_helpers.git
 git_remote_helpers.hg

to take care of such things as cloning remote repos in preparation fro
running fast-export from them, then other VCSes (e.g., bazaar) might
want to use these packages in their foreign VCS support, too.  But
that is probably too theoretical and it is always easy to expose what
others actually need when the time comes.

Thanks,
Jonathan