Subject: Re: Using Origin hashes to improve rebase behavior

From: Enrico Weigelt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:49:14 +0100

* John Wiegley <[email-masked]> wrote:

<snip>

> Later, there is work on master which changes the same lines of code that 3'
> has changed.  The commit which changes 3' is e*
> 
>     a   b   c   3'  d   e*  f
>     o---o---o---o---o---o---o
>              \
>               o---o---o---o
>               1   2   3   4
> 
> At a later date, I want to rebase the private branch onto master.  What will
> happen is that the changes in 3 will conflict with the rewritten changes in
> e*.  However, I'd like Git to know that 3 was already incorporated at some
> earlier time, and *not consider it during the rebase*, since it doesn't need
> to.

I'm solving these situations by incremental rebase (rebasing onto earlier
commits than the head, iteratively). A command for that would be nice.

cu
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: [email-masked]
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme
----------------------------------------------------------------------