Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Teach fetch/pull the on-demand mode and make it the default

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:21:56 -0600

Jens Lehmann wrote:

> *) The fetch is only done when the recorded submodule commit isn't
>    already present.

I like this part a lot.

> I tend to think that this is suited for 1.7.5 but don't have any
> objections against holding it back until 1.8.0 either. What do
> others think?

I see no backward-compatibility to wait for this, but I would be more
included to trust people using "git submodule update" heavily than I
do.  The "submodule update" change could cause the following to break.
Would that be disruptive?

	cd submodule
	git fetch --no-recurse-submodules
	...

	cd ..
	bin/script-to-update-submodules-that-calls-submodule-update

Thanks a lot for working on this.
Jonathan