Subject: Re: gitweb: cloud tags feature produces malformed XML for errors

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:29:29 +0100

On Thu, 3 March 2011, Petr Baudis wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 10:18:44PM +0100, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> > Well, neither does README.html follow the repository when it is cloned,
> > and usually neither does description ('description' file is generated by
> > git default template, and description file overrides `gitweb.description'
> > config variable).
> > 
> > Documentation always can be added, either as comments for the 'ctags'
> > feature, or in gitweb/README (or, in the future, in gitweb manpage).
> > 
> > 
> > What is most important that makes this feature to be considered for
> > removal (or rehauling) is that only half of this feature is implemented
> > in gitweb: the displaying part.  There is half-attempt of providing
> > some web interface for managing tags... which needs external script with
> > strict coupling, doesn't offer any access control as far as I know, do
> > not allow deleting tags, etc.
> 
> Well, but your argument above also applies here - gitweb does not allow
> users to modify README.html or desrciption either. Who knows where ctags
> may come from, they might even be autogenerated based on something.
> I admit that the code could be a bit more resilient to invalid contents
> of the files, but I do not see that as a major problem either (it is
> possible to confuse gitweb by putting invalid stuff into other
> repository files too).

Well, if not the whole 'ctags' / folksonomy feature, then perhaps (as
proposed in other subthread of this discussion, and what Uwe agreed upon)
to remove "write" support for content tags.

Current solution with gitweb providing interface, and third-party script
providing implementation for creating tags, with unspecified API given by
gitweb, and no way to edit / delete tags from web interface, seems 
half-baked at best.

BTW. if I remember correctly [failed] GSoC 2010 project was among others
to add ability to edit description and README.html from gitweb; is there
any code about this in Pavan repository?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland