Subject: Re: [PATCH] cherry-pick -x: add newline before pick note

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:34:48 -0600

Hi again.

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> i posted via the gmane webform ...

(See <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/154490>.
It's obnoxious that there is not an easier way, I agree.)

> i did a much simpler patch in that vein as well, but scrapped it again -
> totally overengineered. the idea is to optimize the simple case -
> cherry-pick -x, push. everything else needs amends anyway.

It's been a vague wish of mine for a while to fix "cherry-pick -x -s".
I currently use it without amends and tolerate the blank line between
the "cherry picked" and the sign-off.

Maybe you can convince people that wanting no extra blank line between
an existing sign-off and the "cherry picked from" line is
overengineering and worth regressing.  I am not a fanatic about it ---
I just thought it was worth mentioning that this proposed change would
not be seen as positive by everyone.

Put another way, I don't find the two words "totally overengineered"
very convincing here.  For what it's worth.

Cheers,
Jonathan