Subject: Re: Summer of Code project ideas due this Friday

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:10:17 -0600

Hi,

Jeff King wrote:

> If you have any ideas, please add them to the page!

Thanks for a pointer.  Some ideas still at the "throw them against the
wall and see if they stick" stage: please feel free to add to the page
if you think you can find subsets with the right scope.  Later today I
can look more carefully.

1. Cross-compilable msysgit: ideally, allowing someone to run
   "make msysgit-installer" on Linux from an msysgit-source.git repo
   to get an installer.  Nice subsets to start with might be msys.dll
   (I think there has been some work on that already) and the basic
   msys utilities.

2. Merge libgit2 into git.git: polish the existing code in libgit2 so
   that standard git can use it.  Presumably this would happen by
   porting one function at a time, not by making git link to libgit2
   immediately.  People familiar with libgit2 might be able to pick
   out particularly interesting subsets to start with (diff
   generation?).

3. Remote helpers: bidi git remote-svn (or one-way remote-hg, or
   remote-cvs, or ...).

4. filter-branch killer: using fast-import's new features to implement
   common filter-branch operations (--subdirectory-filter,
   --prune-empty, obliterating certain files) faster.

5. rev-list: Coping with timeskew.

6. shallow clone: Push support.

7. fixing workdirs (and alternates), along the lines explained in the
   thread <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/150559>.
   I would be very much interested in this.

7. packfilev4.