Subject: Re: Using libgit2 code in git.git as a Google Summer of Code project?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 05:55:49 -0600

Hi again,

Two quick notes.

Vicent Marti wrote:

> I think that right now it would be a quite daunting task to start
> replacing parts of git.git with libgit2. The architecture changes
> required would be quite significant, because of the way that git.git
> and libgit2 are designed (Unix-only, non-reentrant/cross-platform,
> reentrant)

(Side note: git actually can be built with MSVC, though the build
process might be unfamiliar.  See compat/vcbuild/README for details.)

> On top of that, the API for the library is not
> yet stable, so that integration may end up being kind-of-wasted work.

This is precisely why I want to see attempts at using it starting
soon, whether as a student project or not: it would be a bad thing if
git reveals assumptions or limitations in the API requiring major
rework after the API has already solidified.

> So, personally, I don't know anybody interested on mentoring *that*
> specific task, but I'm certainly interested on mentoring a "help
> complete libgit2" task

Sounds good to me. ;-)

Thanks for explaining.
Jonathan