Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-completion: Add git help completion for aliases

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:21:31 +0100

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:25:58AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I think this is not necessary.  We already run __git_aliases() every
> > time after 'git <TAB>', and it was not an issue so far.
> 
> If we allow that line of reasoning, the cached $__git_all_commands that
> can go stale needs to be removed, no?  I think folks running bash on
> windows wanted it and it would be helping them.

Well, Shawn wrote that it was your request ;)

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/32444
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/32438

But there was indeed a remark shortly before that about bad fork-exec
performance under Cygwin on an other topic.

> One valid looking argument against caching aliases but still caching
> commands is that the former could change on the end user's whim while the
> latter is more or less stable across releases,

Agreed.

> but people can throw their
> own "git-frotz" in their path and run it as "git frotz"

Also agreed, and been annoyed by it not being recognized
automatically.  In fact I've even tried to make the completion script
detect user's commands on the fly but still without that huge loop
over the 'git help -a' output in __git_list_porcelain_commands(), but
couldn't come up with anything acceptable so far.  And simply
re-sourcing the completion script is not all that difficult,  which
will also take care of refreshing cached aliases, so...

> so that is not
> entirely a valid argument, either.

agreed here, too.

Best,
Gábor