Subject: Re: GSOC idea: build in scripts and cleanups

From: Robert David <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:55:22 +0200

Dne sobota 26 března 2011 14:39:39 Jeff King napsal(a):
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 09:14:35PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > > I was also thinking if there isn't PERL a better choice in rewriting
> > > shell scripts, due to planed porting (android, etc). Better than C.
> > > But I don't know android and other platform so much, so thats why I'm
> > > asking.
> > 
> > So far (on Windows and various Unixen) it seems that C is much easier
> > to work with as far as porting goes.[2]
> 
> If I were considering cleaning up and porting add--interactive to C, I
> think I would probably start with just porting the "-p" patch loop
> first. I think it's the part that most people use, and most callers
> don't support a generic "-i" but just the "-p" interface (e.g., you can
> do "git add -i" or "git add -p", but only "git checkout -p"). And that
> cuts down the size of the task somewhat.

I have read all the code in git-add--interactive. If I understand that 
correct, you mean to separate -i and -p int two different commands.
And make the -p option more like the -i (but just only for patching).

And consequently port them to C. 

> 
> As far as cleanup versus features, I think Thomas would have to comment
> on that. He is the one who did the most work on patch-mode, and
> therefore the one who most thinks it needs cleaned up. :)
> 

Is Thomas going to be a mentor in this task?

Robert David.

> > [1] Android is an odd example because the platform uses Java heavily
> > (so JGit might be a better fit for it).  Perhaps the wish for android
> > support should have been put on the Eclipse ideas page[2] and a link
> > added to git's; I dunno.
> 
> Yeah, I'm not sure what an Android port would quite look like. In theory
> I could probably build stock git for my rooted N1 using a
> cross-compiler. But I can't imagine what I would use it for. A native
> app seems like it would be more useful, and that pretty much requires
> Java.
> 
> -Peff