Subject: Re: GSOC 2011: git on Android

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 20:31:12 +0530

Hi Sebastián,

Sebastián Ventura writes:
> My name is Sebastián Ventura and I would like to participate in
> porting git to Android for GSOC 2011. I'm a 22 year old Computer
> Sciences student from Uruguay, and I'd really like to start
> contributing to open source but don't know where to start, and I think
> helping in this project is something I am able (and willing) to do.
> Therefore I would like to ask the community how can I start helping
> now to better understand the code.  But firstly, do you think this is
> a problem belonging to JGit (for making a native app) or that is
> better suited for this mailing list?

Thanks for writing.  I don't know much about the project, but I hope
this small disucssion on IRC will point you in the right direction
[1].  You should also try asking Shawn and the JGit community about
this.

> Besides that, and even if I don't enter GSOC, I want to help in an
> Open Source project, so how can I help now? Is there any small problem
> that you think I can resolve?

We don't have an official bug tracker, but there are plenty of small
tasks you can pick up from threads on the mailing list [2], or from
various distributions' bug trackers (like Debian BTS).  Idally, it
would be nice if you work on a feature/ bugfix that you'd personally
like to see.

-- Ram

[1]: http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/git-devel?date=2011-03-31#l323
[2]: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/170670