Subject: Re: [GSoC 2011] Git Sequencer

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 15:08:39 -0500

Stephan Beyer wrote:

> I want to mention an issue that I have not foreseen before: merges.
> (You need merges, for example, when doing rebase -i -p ... -p as in
> --preserve-merges.)
>
> When I began, there was code in the "next" branch that added the TODO
> instructions "mark", "reset" and "merge" to do merges properly and I
> based my work on it. The original pieces by Jörg Sommer can still be
> found here:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/git/sbeyer.git/shortlog/6fabd85e8a777c26f3ae8ce11cb7f4265502ea7f
[etc]

Some more pointers:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/148059
IIRC there's some rough consensus about the design, even if I'm not
sure what it is :).

Of course a dream would be a way to rebase merge conflict resolutions
instead of being limited to replaying conflict-free merges or
resolving conflicts by hand.  But that's a more complex story.