Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 10/11] gitweb.js: Add UI for selecting common timezone to display dates

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:36:56 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:

> KNOWN BUGS:
> ===========
> * In 'log' view menu is generated on the right side of whole page,
>   instead of at near date, as is the case with 'summary', 'commit',
>   'commitdiff', and 'tag' views.

I'm not sure if it is behavior expected by CSS visual formatting model
or not: the issue is with absolutely positioned block element

  div.popup { position: absolute; top: 0; right: 0; }

inside relatively positioned _inline_ element

  span.marker { position: relative; }

In this case 'top: 0; right: 0' refers somehow to parent block element
of inline element... at least that's what I think.  Note that also in
the case of 'summary', 'commit', 'commitdiff' and 'tag' views the popup
position is not entirely what one could expect...

What is strange is that 'top: 0; left: 0' works correctly (sic!).
 
> * 'close-button' is not placed correctly if it uses 'float: right;'
>   style (problem floating element in absolutely positioned box, even
>   though there is no problem if containing box is has
>   position: fixed). 
> 
>   Therefore it was necessary to use absolute positioning for close
>   button.  This might cause for it to overlay 'Select timezone:' text
>   in some cases.

This is because browser didn't determine width of '.popup' block element 
at the time when float element is positioned.  Setting explicitly width 
of timezone menu will allow to use float for '.close-button'.

Both normally positioned and fixed positioned block elements have by 
default 100% width, that is why it worked for them.

Can fix in next iteration.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland