Subject: [PATCH/RFC v3 0/5] Documentation/format-patch: more hints on submitting patches

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:11:00 -0500

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

>> -linkgit:git-am[1], linkgit:git-send-email[1]
>> +linkgit:git-am[1], linkgit:git-send-email[1], linkgit:git-imap-send[1],
>> +Documentation/SubmittingPatches
>
> Hmm, I suspect this is (1) bad because the end users without the source
> may not have access to it, and (2) bad because it may indicate that there
> are hints and tricks in SubmittingPatches file, which narrowly targets
> developers of this project, but they would also be helpful to the general
> audience.  Perhaps some text needs moving from there to here?

Yep, true.  How about this?

Patch 1 explains the "canonical" and "with scissors" formats of mails
with patches.  It's basically the same as before, except with lots of
nice suggestions from Junio incorporated.

Patch 2 explains how new patch submitters can test their tools before
unleashing them on the world.  It should be common sense, but...  The
text is taken from Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

Patch 3 is rough; it exposes the Thunderbird MUA-specific hints.  Help
making it accurate and consistent with git-imap-send(1) would be very
much appreciated

Patch 4 contains KMail hints from SubmittingPatches; help would
appreciated in making sure that's still accurate, too.

Patch 5 contains the famous GMail hints, finally spreading them out
in EXAMPLES sections where they belong.

Maybe this can be a good starting point for future changes.

Jonathan Nieder (5):
  Documentation: describe the format of messages with inline patches
  Documentation: explain how to check for patch corruption
  Documentation: hints for sending patches inline with Thunderbird
  Documentation: publicize KMail hints for sending patches inline
  Documentation: publicize hints for sending patches with GMail

 Documentation/SubmittingPatches    |  207 +++-------------------------------
 Documentation/git-format-patch.txt |  217 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Documentation/git-imap-send.txt    |   29 +++++
 Documentation/git-send-email.txt   |   19 +++-
 4 files changed, 277 insertions(+), 195 deletions(-)