Subject: Re: gsoc - Better git log --follow support

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:06:49 -0500

Hi,

Michał Łowicki wrote:

> 25.04 - 15.06
> 1) study the revision walking code
[...]
> 2) study the pathspec matching + limiting and rename detaction API
[...]
> 3) figure out what state --follow will need to maintain, where it will
> fit into the revision walking process and design new architecture for
> it

Ideally this should happen in the next couple of days, rather than the
next couple of months.  Otherwise the project would be an unknown and
it would be hard in good conscience to accept funding for it.

That said, I am personally willing to help out in the next few days
(to help put a solid proposal together) and throughout the summer (to
fix git log --follow) regardless.  I will be very happy when --follow
works reliably.

> 16.06 - 26-08
> 4) implementation
>
> I plan to spend about 2 months for the first 3 points. It's all about
> poking the right developers and sending question to the mailing list.

It's hard to say how the process of studying code works.  Certainly
asking a question can be a good way to start, and reading code can
lead to more questions.  Another strategy that can work well is to
take the plunge and see what effect changes to the code have.

> I'll try to send some updates soon when I get through some basic
> lecture and the most important code.

Ok.  Remember it's okay to ask for help (though of course not so great
to demand it) if you get stuck or have no idea where to start on
something.

> Any suggestions/ideas are as always welcome. Be prepare for many
> questions from my side :)

Looking forward to it.  If we end up with better technical
documentation as a side effect, all the better.

Regards,
Jonathan