Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 6/5] Documentation/format-patch: suggest Toggle Word Wrap add-on for Thunderbird

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:17:06 -0500

Michael J Gruber wrote:

> Does this add-on toggle "format fl[oa]wed" also?

Yep, it does.  Great find, Hannes.

> BTW: "AboutConfig" was great while it was needed, but these days you can
> access Thunderbird's about:config from the options.

So to summarize the three approaches (this is not a proposed wording;
I'm just trying to clear things up for myself):

 By default, Thunderbird will send HTML mail, wrap outgoing mail to 72
 characters for plain text mail, and transforms plain text mail to
 match the follow=flowed spec.

 To disable HTML mail, use Edit->Account Settings to uncheck the
 "Compose messages in HTML format" setting in the "Composition &
 Addressing" panel of the account to be used to send the patch.
 You've probably done this already --- many development lists do not
 like HTML mail for ordinary discussion, either.

 To disable wrapping and format=flowed, install the Toggle Word Wrap
 add-on that is available from
 https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/toggle-word-wrap/
 It adds a menu entry "Enable Word Wrap" that you can tick off. Now you
 can compose the message as you otherwise do (cut + paste,
 'git format-patch' | 'git imap-send', etc), but you have to insert
 line breaks manually in any additional text that you type.

 That's it.

 If for some reason that add-on doesn't work (maybe you don't like
 add-ons?), use the Config Editor (under Edit->Preferences->Advanced)
 to set

	mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed  => false

 to disable format=flowed and one of the following (?)

	mail.wrap_long_lines => false
	mailnews.wraplength => 0

 to disable line wrapping.

 You might also find the External Editor add-on from
 http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=8 useful.
 There is a script in contrib/thunderbird-patch-inline which can be used
 as an external editor to include patches with Thunderbird and populate
 the "To:", "Subject:", and "Cc:" fields.