Subject: Re: How to manage multiple repos using submodules?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:20:54 -0500

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Wong wrote:

> It seems like submodule isn't meant for this, but many people seems
> to use submodule to link many smaller repos together. With this
> setup, I imagine whenever someone pushed a small repo, they're
> /supposed/ to push the big repo as well. This way, if I simply
> update the big repo and do a "git status", git will tell me that
> which of the smaller repos are out of date.

Yep, if you want to keep track of the state of a bunch of repos over
time, submodules are not so bad[*].  In practice, often one instead
wants to keep a bunch of repos up-to-date, and all this meta-history
tracking is overkill.

I'd suggest using the mr tool.  Some projects (e.g., the
debian-installer project) are using it to help people keep all their
repos up to date.

http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/mr/

Hope that helps,
Jonathan