Subject: Re: The future of gitweb - part 2: JavaScript

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:32:56 +0200

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011, Peter Vereshagin wrote:
> Any time of year you can find me here Jakub.
> 2011/04/14 11:54:53 +0200 Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> => To [email-masked] :
> JN>
> JN> So what are your ideas and comments on the issue of JavaScript code
> JN> and JavaScript libraries / frameworks in gitweb?
> 
> I'd like to note here that js use intensification may be need to be kept
> separated from extending of the http functions of the regular git use which I
> believe is currently implemented by mean of gitweb.

No, fetching and pushing using HTTP transport, be it "smart" or "dumb"
is _not_ the domain of gitweb.  

Gitweb is web interface for _viewing and browsing_ repositories using
a web browser (e.g.: http://git.kernel.org, http://repo.or.cz).  It
requires web server that can run CGI scripts, or FastCGI, or mod_perl
with ModPerl::Registry.

To fetch or push via "dumb" HTTP transport all you need is web server
(for push you need WebDAV configured), and a file generated by
'git update-server-info'.  You don't need git on server... but this
transport is inefficient.

To fetch or push via "smart" HTTP transport you need git installed on
server (git-upload-pack and git-receive-pack), and web server that can
run CGI scripts and e.g. git-http-backend installed.

Neither of those require JavaScript... and neither of those is accessed
by web browser.  You use git to fetch/push, not a web browser.

[cut]
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland