Subject: Re: Applicatioin of contribution for Git Chinese version

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:33:10 -0500

Hi Cyrus,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> It's great that you want to translate Git into chinese. Currently Git
> is in a state where we're preparing to accept translations, but
> there's no reason why you can't start now.
>
> What you can do to start now is:
>
>     git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git
>     cd git
>     make pot
>     cd po
>     msginit --locale=zh

From talking on irc, it looks like you're on Windows and the bandwidth
when talking to servers like git.kernel.org is not so great, and that
you want to be keeping the translation up to date day-to-day as git
is developed.  So here are some hints to start out.

As Ævar mentioned, we were just starting to get our act together to
accept translations.  So you are a pioneer and we will be working out
some of this as we go (thank you!).

1. The first step, which you have already done, is to install msysgit
   (which includes a C compiler and some other useful tools).  With it
   you can easily test your changes.

   Start MsysGit, as described here:
   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/MSysGit:InstallMSysGit
   under "How to restart msysGit".

   If you installed using the fullinstaller, initialize it by running

	/share/msysGit/initialize.sh

2. Msysgit does not include a pre-compiled copy of gettext yet, but
   Erik Faye-Lund has done the necessary work.  Make use of it like
   so:

	cd /
	git checkout devel
	cd /src/gettext
	sh release.sh

   Now "gettext --help" should work.

3. Build a translation template:

	cd /git
	git checkout -t origin/master
	make pot
	cd po
	msginit --locale=zh_CN

4. Start translating, at last.
   
> That'l generate a template zh.po that you can translate. You can
> translate the text with any PO editor, e.g. Poedit:
> http://www.poedit.net/

That's the end of chapter 1.  I am leaving how to test and publish
your translation and how to update when messages in git change for a
later mail.

> Please let me know if you have any questions, or if there's anything
> that can be improved in this process.

Yes.

Thanks, and hope that helps.
Jonathan