Subject: Re: problem when using --cc-cmd

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:52:56 -0500

Hi,

Thiago Farina wrote:

> when I run:
>
> $ git send-email --to [email-masked] --cc-cmd
> scripts/get_maintainer.pl foo
>
> I'm getting some lines like:
> Use of uninitialized value $cc in string eq at
> /home/tfarina/libexec/git-core/git-send-email line 964.

Yes, sounds like a bug.  Cc-ing some send-email people for tips.

On the other hand, using --cc-cmd=scripts/get_maintainer.pl does not
sound like a great idea to me.  On one hand the output of
get_maintainer.pl is not an unadorned address per line like --cc-cmd
expects.  On the other hand, at least some versions of
get_maintainer.pl returned more addresses than are likely to be
interested people (by using --git by default).

I think get_maintainer.pl is meant to be a starting point for tracking
down who might be interested in a patch and should be followed by
careful investigation.  (That means making sure that there is a
reasonable number of people and the reasons given by --roles ouput
make sense, and maybe even glancing at some messages by them from the
relevant mailing list to make sure the script has not gone haywire.)

Hope that helps,
Jonathan