Subject: [PATCH/RFC 0/3] teaching log's --glob=<glob> and friends to git shortlog

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 05:22:41 -0500

Hi,

While looking over the setup_revisions code to work on an interesting
request from Josh Triplett[1] (that happens to coincide with a
longstanding wish of my own), I got distracted by a few things.  The
nominal subject of this series is to teach "git shortlog" to handle
commands like

	git shortlog --glob=remotes/charon/notes/*

Patch 1 makes the code clearer about something I had been confused
by for a long time --- the --no-walk option invented for "git show"'s
benefit has global effect.  So tricks like[2]

	git rev-list ^HEAD --no-walk commit1 commit2 ...

to list branches not contained in HEAD will not work, alas.

Patch 2 unindents the code a little.

Patch 3 is the title piece --- it adds --glob=, --tag=, and so forth
to the whitelist in handle_revision_opt so commands like "git
shortlog" that parse revision listing options in two stages will queue
them correctly.

While working on this I was struck by how close the setup_revisions
code has been to parseoptification all these years.  Maybe some
weekend.

Thoughts and improvements welcome, of course.

Jonathan Nieder (3):
  revisions: clarify handling of --no-walk and --do-walk
  revisions: split out handle_revision_pseudo_opt function
  revisions: allow --glob and friends in parse_options-enabled commands

 revision.c               |  138 ++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------
 t/t6018-rev-list-glob.sh |   50 +++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 122 insertions(+), 66 deletions(-)

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/621601
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/138109/focus=138124