Subject: Re: libreoffice merge issue ...

From: Damien Wyart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:01:32 +0200

Hi,

Sorry to wake up an old thread.

* Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> [2011-02-16 13:30]:
> Yeah, the reverted 83c9031 (unpack_trees(): skip trees that are the
> same in all input, 2010-12-22) also seems to have seriously broken
> intermediate merge merge-recursive makes. I actually recall scratching
> my head when I made 00e6ee7 (Merge branch 'maint', 2011-02-11) that
> was causing add/add conflict when it shouldn't. It turns out that
> quite a lot of entries were missing in contrib/ area from the virtual
> common ancestry tree synthesized by merge-recursive that called into
> the botched unpack_trees()---it of course would result in add/add
> conflict if a merge is done using such a tree as the common.

> No, I haven't had a chance nor energy to dig further than what
> I reported above.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know if digging further into this
issue is still on your TODO list. I feel understanding exactly what was
wrong in 83c9031 would be interesting ; having just the revert is a bit
frustrating.

The initial optimization in 83c9031 seemed right at first glance, so
I would be interesting in having a more final answer to this.

Many thanks in advance,
-- 
Damien Wyart