Subject: Re: RFC: a plugin architecture for git extensions?

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:42:33 -0400

Drew Northup wrote:
> I was just thinking of that, and for hoots and hollers I
> copied /usr/share/man/man1/git-am.1.gz
> to /usr/share/man/man1/git-amp.1.gz and tried "git help amp" on it.
> 
> 	[dnorthup@drew-northup ~]$ git help amp
> 	No manual entry for gitamp
> 
> So, that doesn't work. I haven't checked yet how Git "knows" what valid
> pages are available for "git help" but just putting another file in the
> same directory as the others didn't do the job (at least not on my
> workstation).

If git-amp is available in $PATH, 'git help amp' runs 'man git-amp'.
Otherwise, it runs 'man gitamp'.

Tools like autoconf etc already know how to install man pages into the
right places. I don't see the need for any additional support for git
here.

-- 
see shy jo