Subject: Re: RFC: a plugin architecture for git extensions?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:08:27 -0500

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> For example, on my primary development box, I do not have any git
> installed from distribution, but I do have git on my $PATH.  For such
> users, "make install" should be able to find out that the right place to
> install git-work.1 is in $HOME/some/where/man/man1 directory.

Sorry to be dense, but: isn't the right place to install git-work.1
one of

	/usr/local/share/man
	/usr/share/man
	/opt/man
	$HOME/man
	$prefix/man

depending on where the git-work binary was installed?  In the $prefix
case, the same snippet in .profile that adds $prefix/bin to the $PATH
would also say

	MANPATH=$prefix/man:$(manpath)

Or is the idea to blindly install (a symlink to) git-work to $(git
--exec-path)/ rather than a place on the $PATH?  In this case, I would
be a little worried.  How will the helper deal with uninstallation and
with namespace conflicts?  (On the $PATH, these are expected problems
and I'd expect each user has some way of dealing with them already.)