Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] gitweb: Improve ctags, introduce categories

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 01:53:06 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> A tangent. It is curious why [PATCH 2/6] alone ended up with an encoded
> "Subject" header, like this:
> 
>   Subject: =?UTF-8?q?=5BPATCH=202/6=5D=20gitweb=3A=20Change=20the=20
>    way=20=22content=20tags=22=20=28=27ctags=27=29=20are=20handled?=
> 
> The message actually has the above as a long single line, as can be seen
> at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/172479/raw
> 
> Just being curious.
> 
> The headers suggest that sending MUA was git-send-email speaking to gmail
> SMTP.  Did we introduce bugs to send-email recently?

This is git-send-email from git version 1.7.3 (not most recent).

What might be important, and what you can't get from mail itself, is that
patch was generated using git-format-patch, but UTF-8 characters in body
of email were introduced during editing it, and were not present in commit
message (sorry, bad practice).  So git-send-email asked about encoding,
and I chosen default UTF-8

  The following files are 8bit, but do not declare a Content-Transfer-Encoding.
      mdir.7/0002-gitweb-Change-the-way-content-tags-ctags-are-handled.txt
  Which 8bit encoding should I declare [UTF-8]? <ENTER>

Though subject itself does contain only 7bit US-ASCII, so there is no need
for encoding it (with quoted-printable, as Subject appears before 
Content-Encoding and MIME-Version headers).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland