Subject: Re: RFC: a plugin architecture for git extensions?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 01:49:02 -0500

Jon Seymour wrote:

> The idea isn't to replace standard operating system facilities for
> application installation. The idea is to provide a uniform interface
> for accomplishing the rather limited task of extending git that can
> work the same way, irrespective of platform, irrespective of file
> system layouts, irrespective of assumptions about which directories
> are already in the user's paths.
[...]
> If at the end of the day, we say make and install are the way to do
> it, then fine. However, this makes the dependencies for a successful
> install strictly greater than the existence of git and a POSIX shell
> which we can assume if git is already installed.

Thanks for explaining, and sorry to have given so much grief by not
understanding.

If this whole conversation were about how to add a new menu item to
git gui, I would have understood completely.  Having to figure out how
to get something in a directory listed in PATH would be undue
complication.

After going in circles a few times, I think you're saying there are
also some people using git on the command line for whom "make
prefix=<whereever> install" won't cut it.  With such a person in mind,
what you're trying to do makes sense --- and why not do it, when it
will bring some other benefits as a side-effect, like the ability to
add new commands without them showing up in git-<TAB> tab completion?
So I'll be quiet now.