Subject: Re: [GSoC 11] submodule improvements

From: Magnus Bäck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 17:10:07 +0200

On Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 14:05 CEST,
     Fredrik Gustafsson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've been chosen to improve git submodules during the summer. My main
> focus will be to move the .git-directory away from the submodules so
> that submodules can be deleted and created in the working tree [1].

[...]

> [1] My proposal:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/iveqy/1

The proposal says

    The submodule system is widely used, specially within the android
    platform.

which puzzles me somewhat. The Android platform uses the Repo tool
to help out with multiple gits in the same source tree, and Repo
currently isn't based on submodules. Work is however ongoing to
switch Repo into using submodules instead (which would make the
whole tool rather redundant). Are you thinking of that work, or
is there a misunderstanding somewhere?

[...]

-- 
Magnus Bäck                   Opinions are my own and do not necessarily
SW Configuration Manager      represent the ones of my employer, etc.
Sony Ericsson