Subject: [PATCH] Documentation: do not misinterpret refspecs as bold text (Re: Git fast-import : Warning duplicated ref: refs/remotes/origin/master)

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:52:56 -0500

Jérémie NIKAES wrote:

> Ok I just committed my changes to the master branch, feel free to pull
> and try it out.

Nice.  Now I get

| $ git fetch --all
[...]
| Fetching & writing export data...
| 1/2: Revision n°7 of New_page
| 2/2: Revision n°8 of New_page
| 
| error: Ref refs/remotes/origin/master is at d94a46270250454f1fc6c1fb47abfde31a2196c9 but expected dfb79bbc658333d5c9b0427b71f6b1bc48629949
| From mediawiki::http://localhost/mediawiki
|  ! dfb79bb...c57c15b master     -> origin/master  (unable to update local ref)
| error: Could not fetch origin

which means that the transport machinery thought the helper was going
to be fetching directly to "master".  I suspect you will want a
'refspec' capability like

	refspec refs/heads/*:refs/mediawiki/${remotename}/*

to fix this.

Cc-ing Daniel who invented v1.7.0-rc0~62^2~19 (Allow helper to map
private ref names into normal names, 2009-11-18).  What namespace
should a helper use when asked to fetch to FETCH_HEAD without a remote
name, like

	git fetch mediawiki::testwiki

?

-- >8 --
Subject: Documentation: do not misinterpret refspecs as bold text

In v1.7.3.3~2 (Documentation: do not misinterpret pull refspec as bold
text, 2010-12-03) many uses of asterisks in expressions like
"refs/heads/*:refs/svn/origin/branches/*" were escaped as {asterisk}
to avoid being treated as delimiters for bold text, but these two were
missed.

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt |    6 +++---
 1 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt b/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt
index 87cd11f..58f6ad4 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt
@@ -181,11 +181,11 @@ CAPABILITIES
 	When using the import command, expect the source ref to have
 	been written to the destination ref. The earliest applicable
 	refspec takes precedence. For example
-	"refs/heads/*:refs/svn/origin/branches/*" means that, after an
-	"import refs/heads/name", the script has written to
+	"refs/heads/{asterisk}:refs/svn/origin/branches/{asterisk}" means
+	that, after an "import refs/heads/name", the script has written to
 	refs/svn/origin/branches/name. If this capability is used at
 	all, it must cover all refs reported by the list command; if
-	it is not used, it is effectively "*:*"
+	it is not used, it is effectively "{asterisk}:{asterisk}"
 
 REF LIST ATTRIBUTES
 -------------------
-- 
1.7.5.3