Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] test-svn-fe: split off "test-svn-fe -d" into a separate function

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:32:59 -0500

Drew Northup wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 06:09 -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> +static const char test_svnfe_usage[] =
>> +	"test-svn-fe (<dumpfile> | [-d] <preimage> <delta> <len>)";
[...]
> How is this germane to the original intent? Is there a gain by making it
> global (to that file) that I'm missing?

It allows this variable with information about the program in general
to be shared by the two functions.  Many examples of that style show
up with

	git grep -l -F -e 'main(' | xargs git grep -F -e 'usage[]' --
	git grep -F -e 'usage[]' -- builtin

I should have mentioned so in the commit message, though; maybe
something like this:

	The helper for testing the svndiff library is getting
	dangerously close to the right margin.  Split it off into a
	separate function so it is easier to contemplate on its own.

	In other words, this just unindents the code a little.  In the
	process, make the test_svnfe_usage[] string static so it can
	be shared by the two functions (and other future functions in
	this test program) without fuss.  No noticeable change
	intended.

Thanks for noticing,
Jonathan