Subject: Re: speed of git reset -- file

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 18:05:02 -0400

Jeff King wrote:
> > My experience with semi-large trees[1] is that I have to remember to use
> > "git status ." in a subdir; that "git commit -a" is of course slow when
> > I need to use it; and that the index gets big and things that need to
> > update it can become somewhat slow especially on slow disks, but that
> 
> Generally I find that the stats are very fast because everything is in
> cache, and the disk doesn't come into it at all. Are you on an OS
> besides Linux, or on a machine with low memory?

I have Linux and a gigabyte of ram and a not particularly good SSD.
Here `git reset file` takes 30 seconds, `git status` 45 seconds.

I do not seem to be alone in finding git reset file to be slow, the
problem was reported to me by another user.

> Yeah, Junio's autorefresh suggestion is much better.

That did seem reasonable and something I'd probably use.

-- 
see shy jo