Subject: Re: speed of git reset -- file

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 00:46:38 -0400

Joey Hess wrote:
> Jeff King wrote:
> > Yeah, it is going to be painful on a cold cache. But I wonder whether
> > your workflow would really permit the "reset" thing to make a
> > difference. That is, are you doing "git reset -- file" from a cold
> > cache, and then doing _nothing_ else with git? Because while yes, it may
> > be annoying for the "reset" to take 30 seconds, it's warming the cache
> > so that the subsequent "diff" or "status" will take 29.1 seconds less.
> > 
> > Which isn't to say I'm not sympathetic to the performance problems of
> > large repos on a cold cache. But I'm not sure there's really a way
> > around that. You're going to want to see the stat information eventually
> > if you are doing anything meaningful with git, and once it's loaded, the
> > warm cache delay isn't too bad. Trying to avoid it seems like a losing
> > battle.
> 
> Could be true in general. While I've gotten the reset out of this
> workflow (realized I could just `git checkout HEAD file` and that would
> also clear staged changes), in this case it was actually *unlikely* that
> the cache would be unused, as I was resetting to throw unwanted changes
> away.

Typo, meant to say unlikly that the cache would be used.

-- 
see shy jo