Subject: Re: [PATCHv5 2/4] Add infrastructure for ref namespaces

From: Josh Triplett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 16:43:57 -0700

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 04:22:05PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jamey Sharp <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Note that namespaces which include a / will expand to a hierarchy of
> > namespaces; for example, GIT_NAMESPACE=foo/bar will store refs under
> > refs/namespaces/foo/refs/namespaces/bar/.  This makes GIT_NAMESPACE
> > behave hierarchically, and avoids ambiguity with namespaces such as
> > foo/refs/heads.
> 
> I would have expected that this explanation would be improved after you
> having to answer my question on the list.  Otherwise it was a wasted
> effort, for both me (asking) and you (answering).

Just missed it when re-spinning the series.  Will re-send with an
updated commit message for that patch.

> > This adds the infrastructure for ref namespaces: handling the
> > GIT_NAMESPACE environment variable and --namespace option, and iterating
> > over refs in a namespace.  Subsequent commits use this infrastructure to
> > implement the user-visible support for ref namespaces.
> >
> > Commit by Josh Triplett and Jamey Sharp.
> 
> Also please drop that "Commit by ...".  We can read Sign-off.

Signed-off-by doesn't quite have the right meaning, since normally a
chain of signoffs just indicates the chain of review, not necessarily
authorship.  We brought this up at one point previously[1], and Jonathan
Nieder pointed to previous discussions about this, with the apparent
conclusion to use another pseudo-header to indicate co-authorship.
(Also why we originally put it in the same paragraph as the
signed-off-by.)  Documentation/SubmittingPatches also mentions the
possibility of adding extra pseudo-headers similar to Signed-off-by, as
appropriate.

We really did write these patches (and commit messages) sitting right
next to each other and switching off with the same keyboard. :)

- Josh Triplett and Jamey Sharp

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/451880