Subject: Re: Q: how can i find the upstream merge point of a commit?

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:52:42 +0200

* Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > But the next-20080501 tag is useless, and i don't have linux-next 
> > as HEAD, it's only a remote.
> 
> You can restict which tags get used:
> 
> $ git describe --contains --match 'v*' 189d3c4a94
> v2.6.26-rc1~155

Ok, that works.

Still it's not entirely logical that 'foreign' tags invade another 
branch this aggressively.

Yeah, i know that Git tags are global but still, if i add a remote i 
do not intuitively expect it to create a union of tags, do i?

So it would be nice to have more separation for remotes - right now 
they do not sit still in their sandboxes! :-)

Thanks,

	Ingo