Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2] revert: Implement --abort processing

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:28:06 -0500

Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder writes:

>> If you are thinking "I would never use 'git cherry-pick --abort' --- I
>> would just look in the reflog for a commit to 'reset --hard' to", then
>> you are *done*.  Just document it, make sure the reflog has useful
>> content to help out, and wait until someone complains and adds a
>> shortcut they like.
>
> Ah, thanks for the helpful advice. I'll stay away from deciding
> end-user interfaces altogether, and just write in the infrastructure
> for sequencing commits with a minimalistic UI. People can add more
> later :)

Well, until "later", this minimalistic UI is an end-user interface.
So just for the record, this does not mean you are free from writing
documentation or thinking about processes that humans use for work.

That said, following a "worse is better" approach and just getting
something simple working (meaning "operable by human beings but not
necessarily perfect") before adding the bells and whistles certainly
makes sense.  I'm not unhappy with that outcome.