Subject: Re: Command-line interface thoughts

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:51:18 +0200

On Thu, 14 Jun 2011, Michael Haggerty wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 12:15 PM, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> > BTW. there is code for 'git put'.  Where is code for git diff targets?
> 
> Is this just a rhetorical question, or would code be useful?  From the
> tone of the conversation, I got the impression that the change has no
> chance of being accepted.

It was not entirely rhetorical question.

First, code speak louder than words. A feature for which there exist
implementation (and documentation, and tests) has much more chance being
accepted / merged in, than purely theoretical discussion on user
interface. Though the latter is needed too, of course.

Second, writing proof of concept implementation, or at least trying
to write documentation and/or test for new feature or new behavior
help to flesh out ideas, to give them definite shape.

But I know that not everybody is a programmer, and from those not all
are proficient in C (at least for this case), Perl, Python or shell
scripting, and with Git API to implement new feature.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland