Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] Move contents of libgit.a to lib subdirectory

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 01:47:13 -0500

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]> writes:

>> ... But why is this amount of churn necessary or being
>> recommended? What problem does this address? Is that worth the pain
>> this puts on every other in-flight change that is still being
>> developed, or is already in the review pipeline?
>
> No reason and not recommended; nothing; not worth.
>
> Especially during the pre-release freeze.

It's unlikely the patch would be cooked by the time there is a
release, or even in the moments of quiet after that.  If this were a
patch intended for immediate inclusion, the timing would be
unfortunate, but for an RFC I wouldn't have expected the release
timing to be very relevant.

A better thought out version of this patch, meaning timed
appropriately and taking into account the comments that came up the
last times the subject was discussed, would imho be a good thing.
Part of thinking it through is to consider the effect on in-flight
patches and to consider whether it's possible to mitigate that.

In other words, I think Shawn's questions get right to the point.
I hope the above answers --- which do seem to correctly reflect the
state of things in absence of such thinking --- will not dissuade
someone from finding a good answer.

More prior discussion for the sort of masochistic person who wants to
work on it: [1].  I admit I can imagine easier tasks. :)

Just my two cents,
Jonathan

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/165748/focus=165801