Subject: Re: [PATCH 06/14] revert: Eliminate global "commit" variable

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 03:55:19 -0500

Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:

> Since we want to develop the functionality to either pick or revert
> individual commits atomically later in the series, make "commit" a
> variable to be passed around explicitly as an argument for clarity.
> This involves changing several functions to take an additional
> argument, but no functional changes.  Additionaly, this will permit
> more than one commit to be cherry-picked at once, should we choose to
> develop this functionality in future.

I don't understand the last sentence above --- doesn't "git cherry-pick
A B" work already?

The patch looks good, except for:

[...]
> -static void write_cherry_pick_head(void)
> +static void write_cherry_pick_head(struct commit *commit)
[...]
> -			write_cherry_pick_head();
> +			write_cherry_pick_head(sha1_to_hex(commit));

I don't see how this would even compile.