Subject: Re: generation numbers

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 22:31:12 +0200

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > You could "cheat" and instead of storing the sha1 of a blob object in
> > the notes tree, use the lower 32 bits to store an actual value. I don't
> > think that currently breaks any assumptions in the notes code, but it
> > definitely is against the intent of it.
> 
> I highly suspect that it would break fsck rather badly.  You may not even
> be able to repack a repository with such a notes tree.

Well, we could (ab)use file mode to mark that what would be sha1 actually
stores fixed-width content of a file, like we do with submodules.

This technique is I think quite similar in idea to filesystems storing
contents of small files in file inode, isn't it?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland