Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit: allow partial commits with relative paths

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:00:45 +0200

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 06:45:40PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> 
> > With your permission I am stealing your commit message.
> 
> I don't care about the message but don't see the point of this patch.
> Using the same message certainly won't explain the difference...

Well, to be fair I did add to your message, explaining what I did.

The point of providing a prefix at all is performance optimization.
If you say there is no common prefix for the files of interest,
then you cannot leave any files out and you have to read the entire
tree into the index.

But even if we cannot use the working directory as a prefix, we can
still figure out if there is a common prefix for all given paths,
and use that instead. I merely copied that idea from ls-tree.

And considering that most of my patch the almost verbatim move of a
function from one file to another, I think my change is not that
big:

> >  4 files changed, 39 insertions(+), 38 deletions(-)

Clemens