Subject: Re: [PATCH] get_indexed_object can return NULL if nothing is in that slot; check for it

From: Brian Harring <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:40:21 -0700

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:54:51AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Thanks for a fix.
> 
> It is both interesting and disturbing to see that these small mistakes are
> discovered a week after the topics hit 'master', even though it has been
> cooking in 'next' for a week before that happened (in the case of this
> topic, it also hit 'maint' yesterday).

I'll admit I'm slightly surprised it slipped past for initial 
development- that said, you have to explicitly trigger the race to 
trigger the segfault.  And that's not easy w/out building out a 
custom setup- even w/ that setup, you need to go digging in server 
logs to realize the previous serverside failure just converted to a 
segfault.  Clientside, it hung just the same.

Bit nonobvious.  Plus, shit happens. ;)

Either way, I was poking at the source trying to figure out how to get 
some unittests for an end to end testing of the http/smartserv; that 
said I was having a helluva time finding a way to do it without 
bundling a stub of a webserver.  Suggestions would be welcome on that 
one.

~brian