Subject: Re: Files that cannot be added to the index

From: Shaun Ruffell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:40:09 -0500

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 02:07:18AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 04:12:33PM -0500, Shaun Ruffell wrote:
> 
> > On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:59:19PM +0200, seanh wrote:
> > > I'm using git version 1.7.4.4 on OSX Lion, from macports. (I was
> > > having the problem on Snow Leopard too.)
> > 
> > Not sure if this is your problem exactly but awhile back I ran into
> > something similar to what you describe and tracked it down to the
> > fact that my filesystem was case insensitive. i.e.
> 
> I think both of you may be seeing the same bug I tracked down here:
> 
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/173612/focus=174634
> 
> Does the patch from the very end of the thread solve the problem for
> you? I should probably clean it up for inclusion in git.

I was going to apply the patch and see what happens, however when I
built and tested 1.7.6 as a baseline I no longer could reproduce the
issue.

  $ git commit -m "Makefile"
  [master a931b27] Makefile
   1 files changed, 0 insertions(+), 222 deletions(-)
   delete mode 100644 Makefile
   create mode 100644 makefile
  $ git ls-files -m

The previous version I had installed from one of the OSX package
managers (not sure if it was fink or Macports) was 1.6.5.3.

NOTE: I had to compile git from source like "NO_FINK=1 make" in
order to avoid the "ld: warning: in /sw/lib/libiconv.dylib, file is
not of required architecture" error message.

So, in summary, it looks like this is fixed.

Thanks,
Shaun