Subject: Re: Overriding ~/.gitconfig using GIT_CONFIG

From: David Aguilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 06:05:56 -0700

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:44:13PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> My problem isn't that I want to specify a specific .gitconfig file, I
> just need it to ignore the one in $HOME. I'm happy for the .git/config
> file to be used, in fact I need it to be.

If you're writing a tool then it should restrict itself to
git's plumbing commands.  You should be able to do just about
anything without needing to worry about differences in
configuraiton.  Git commands almost always provide a way to
override configuration through the use of flags.

The plumbing commands are listed in the main git manpage.
See "Low-level commands (plumbing)" here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/

What is the specific problem solved by overriding the
configuration?  It may be possible to solve it without needing
to get too complicated.

Have fun,
-- 
					David