Subject: Re: [PATCH] do not require filters to consume stdin

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:20:29 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Isn't this filter already broken if clean request is for a blob contents
> that is different from what is on the filesystem?  The name %f is passed
> to give the filter a _hint_ on what the path is about (so that the filter
> can choose to work differently depending on the extension, for example),
> but the data may or may not come from the filesystem, depending on what is
> calling the filter, no?
> 
> Most notably, renormalize_buffer() would call convert_to_git() on a buffer
> that is internal, possibly quite different from what is in the working
> tree.

So during a merge.

gitattributes(5) is not very clear about this, it would probably be good
to add a caveat there about what %f is not.

This seems to make it impractical to build the sort of thing described here:
http://lists-archives.org/git/737857-fwd-git-and-large-binaries-a-proposed-solution.html

Arguably that thread already reached the same conclusion about using
smudge/clean for handling large files, for other reasons. Since I
already have something that works without smudge/clean, perhaps I should
give up on them.

-- 
see shy jo