Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] fast-import: fix corner case for checkpoint

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:28:51 -0500

Dmitry Ivankov wrote:

> checkpoint command makes fast-import finish current pack and write out
> branches/tags and marks. In case no new objects are added in current
> pack fast-import falls back to no-op. While it is possible that refs
> or marks need to be updated (to point to old objects).
>
> Make fast-import always dump them on checkpoint. But as before do not
> cycle_packfile if there are no objects to write.

Yeah, that would be annoying to run into.  Rearranging the description
a little for clarity and brevity:

	fast-import: update refs on checkpoint even if there are no new objects

	During an import using the fast-import command, it is possible for
	no new objects to have been added between two checkpoints requested
	with the SIGUSR1 signal or the "checkpoint" command.  Even in this
	case, fast-import should write out any updated refs and marks to
	fulfill the second checkpoint request.

	As before, fast-import will not write an empty pack and start a new
	one when there are no new objects to write out.

With that change,
Reviewed-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>