Subject: Re: Git is not scalable with too many refs/*

From: Martin Fick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:26:03 -0600

On Friday, September 30, 2011 10:41:13 am Martin Fick wrote:
> I dug into this a bit further.  I took a non gced and non
> packed refs repo and this time instead of gcing it to get
> packedrefs, I only ran the above git pack-refs --all so
> that objects did not get gced.  With this, the noop
> fetch was also only around 12s.  This confirmed that the
> non gced objects are not interfering with the noop
> fetch, the problem really is just the unpacked refs. 
> Just to confirm that the FS is not horribly slow, I did
> a "find .git/refs" and it only takes about .4s for about
> 80Kresults!

Is there a way I can for refs to always be packed?  I didn't 
see a config option for this.  I would like to try a fetch 
this way even if I have to make a small code tweak.  

I tried simulating on the fly ref packing every now and then 
by running the pack from another repo during the fetch, it 
actually slowed things down (by more than the time it took 
to do the packs).

-Martin

-- 
Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. which is a 
member of Code Aurora Forum