Subject: Re: general protection faults with "git grep" version 1.7.7.1

From: Markus Trippelsdorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:58:36 +0200

On 2011.10.24 at 22:49 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:11:53PM +0200, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
> > Suddenly I'm getting strange protection faults when I run "git grep" on
> > the gcc tree:
> 
> Jim Meyering and I are trying to chase what looks like a similar or
> identical bug in git-grep.  We've not got much further than gdb and
> valgrind so far, but see:
> 
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=747377
> 
> It's slightly suspicious that this bug only started to happen with the
> latest glibc, but that could be coincidence, or could be just that
> glibc exposes a latent bug in git-grep.

Thanks for the pointer.

Compiling git with -O1 "solves" the problem for me. 
This issue is independent of the exact git version being used (I tried
three different ones and always hit the problem).
It happens always on the _second_ run of "git grep" on my machine. The
first run always succeeds. So this might be a cache related issue.

-- 
Markus