Subject: Re: Folder level Acces in git

From: Magnus Bäck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:17:01 +0100

On Thursday, November 03, 2011 at 07:10 CET,
     redhat1981 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am using Gitosis, Adding the gitosis conf file
> 
> [group testabc]
> writable = testabc
> members =   shrii Abhijeet premkumar
> add cgit = yes
> gitweb = yes
> 
> 
> [group testabc-readonly]
> readonly = testabc
> members =  Ganesh Shweta
> add cgit = yes
> gitweb = yes
> 
> Inside the repository, testabc let us say there are folders folder1,
> folder 2 etc, I want some users to have read/write, read or no access
> to the folder1 or folder2, Is this possible in Git, I have done it in
> SVN, Please help!!

Given Git's nature, you can't have read access restrictions on a sub-git
level (i.e. file/directory level). For basically the same reason, you
can never prevent users from making (local) commits that modify certain
paths (but you can encourage people to have local hooks to enforce such
policies). What you *can* do is install a server-side update hook that
rejects attempts to push commits that modify certain paths. If you're
willing to trade Gitosis for Gitolite, you get that feature for free.

http://book.git-scm.com/5_git_hooks.html
http://progit.org/book/ch4-8.html

-- 
Magnus Bäck                   Opinions are my own and do not necessarily
SW Configuration Manager      represent the ones of my employer, etc.
Sony Ericsson